The Flea Production Commission
2024 Open Submissions
We support and invest in experimental art by Black, brown, and queer artists.
We provide space, financial support, producing partnership and other resources so that they may develop and share their vision in community with audiences.
The Flea is seeking performance proposals for its 2024-2025 season. We are looking for work that asks genuine and challenging questions and resists status quo thinking/binaries/moralizing; work that invites us into deep consideration while embracing humor or absurdity; odd, strange work that inspires awe and unique ways of seeing and being.
One exciting proposal will be selected for The Flea’s 2024 – 2025 season and its lead artist will be awarded a $6,000 development fee as well as a $6,000 production fee.
Submission Deadline: November 1st, 2023
Submission components (please make sure all components are thoroughly addressed in your submission):
- Written Artist Statement/Project Description that addresses the following:
- What is the project, its form, and its core audience (core audiences do not have to be discreet communities)?
- What are the questions at the core of this project?
- What is your approach to creating this work? how will you collaborate with others to realize the work?
- Work sample that indicates the full scope/context of the project. This is your space to share as much about the project as you want you and can. That can look like:
- a full script
- an outline for performance
- a complete score
- a detailed proposal
- names, titles and demographic(s) of any collaborators
- any other kind of document that addresses the question
- Optional: Artist CV/Resume/Website
- As our mission suggests, we are seeking experimental art that finds itself somewhere in the intersections of Black, brown, and queer identity and led by artists who identify with those intersections.
- We believe in projects that cross/blend/subvert genres and disciplines
- We are looking for compelling art that requires virtuosity and that is participatory/active for audiences in some way
- This is a production opportunity; we are looking for projects that are ready to have a New York City premiere (don’t worry, it’s cool if your project had a two-night engagement at some other space).
The final project will be chosen by February 2024. The chosen project will be invited to do a development workshop in the Fall of 2024 with the goal of a Spring 2025 production at The Flea.
Please email all materials to email@example.com by November 1st, 2023.