The Resident Directors Program is an intensive residency for a team of ambitious directors. This unique program offers a hands-on approach to directing and producing through the opportunity to work, train, and direct in support of a leading off-off-Broadway theater. Based on The Flea’s resident acting company, The Bats, the Resident Directors are at the core of our bold and inventive programming. All season long, Resident Directors helm readings, workshops and full-length productions as well as volunteer their time and talents as members of The Flea community.
Over the course of their open-ended tenure, Resident Directors will:
- Assist directors on productions
- Direct for SERIALS, The Flea’s late-night, episodic play competition
- Read and discuss plays in consideration for The Flea’s season
- Stage Manage a Flea production
- House Manage for Flea productions
- Develop, pitch and direct in our theaters
- Have the support and resources of The Flea staff to develop workshops, readings or new initiatives.
- Participate in a month of weekly scene study sessions.
- Be mentored in leadership by the Artistic and Producing Directors
To apply please submit the following:
- Headshot or Photo
- 1 page Artist Statement
- Strong applicants will articulate a compelling vision for their artistic practice and how they will benefit from residency at The Flea.
- List of projects and engagements from June 2018- June 2019
Applications are due Wednesday, June 13th. We will contact applicants for interviews and practical evaluations, which will take place on Wednesday, June 20th and Thursday, June 21st. All application materials should be sent to Niegel Smith, Artistic Director at niegels@