The Flea Theater, under Artistic Director Niegel Smith and Producing Director Carol Ostrow, seeks emerging directors for its Resident Director Program.
The Resident Director Program is an intensive residency for a small team of ambitious directors. This unique program offers a hands-on approach to directing and producing through the opportunity to work, train, and direct in support of a leading Off-Off-Broadway theater. The Resident Directors work alongside The Flea’s resident acting company, The Bats, and are at the core of our bold and inventive programming. All season long, Resident Directors helm readings, workshops and full-length productions as well as volunteer their time and talents as members of The Flea community.
Over the course of their tenure, Resident Directors will:
- Assist directors on productions
- Direct for SERIALS, The Flea’s late-night, episodic play competition
- Read and discuss plays in consideration for The Flea’s season
- Stage manage a Flea production
- House manage for Flea productions
- Develop and pitch shows for The Siggy, our 46 seat black box theater
- Have the support and resources of The Flea staff to develop workshops, readings or new initiatives
- Be mentored in leadership by the Artistic and Producing Directors
Requirements for eligibility:
- Must be over 21 years of age and not enrolled in a full-time academic program.
- Must live within 90 minutes to The Flea Theater via car or rail.
To apply please submit the following:
- Headshot or photo
- 1 page artist statement- strong applicants will articulate a compelling vision for their artistic practice
- Short Bio (100 words or less)
- List of all commitments (directorial and otherwise) for 2019-2020 season
Monday, April 15th 11:59 pm
- Application Deadline: Monday, April 15th 11:59 pm
- Finalists Selected: Monday, April 22nd
- Interviews and Practical Evaluations: Thursday, May 9th – Saturday, May 11th
- Notification of Selection: week of Monday, May 13th
To apply, please submit via this FORM
Read More About Resident Directors